I'm a college Student/Amateur Astronomer, working on a Physics Degree at George Mason University. I spend most of my time observing in Southeast Virginia and parts of North Carolina. Unlike many Amateur-Astronomers, there was never a defining moment where I became hooked. I was always interested in Science and Astronomy, since the age of 4 or 5, possibly younger. I do recall a few nights spent under dark skies camping, as well as seeing what was most certainly M13 naked eye, while on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean, about 100 miles offshore. These experiences were what influenced me to take up Amateur Astronomy as a hobby. Since 2007, It's turned into an obsession for me.


I currently observe with an Orion XT10 Intelliscope, though I have plans to upgrade to a 14inch truss tube design soon. I also use an Orion 4.5 inch Dobsonian for wide field astronomy, and it doubles as my solar scope. I also occasionally use 15x70 Binoculars.

I intend to use this blog as an outlet for publishing my observing experiences as well as my Astronomical knowledge. I plan on putting together a monthly list, like Sue French does for Sky and Telescope, that will consist of showpiece objects as well as challenging or lesser known objects, and I will compile information about these objects, and include my own logs of them. Also I plan to address the real science of astronomy as well.

By no means do I claim to be an expert, since Amateur Astronomy is more so about enjoying the hobby and passing it on to others, than it is about competition. However, I was fortunate enough to learn from some of the most prolific and experienced amateurs in the country, who have decades of experience and much larger instruments.

Hopefully my postings will help or inspire others, or maybe just teach them something new.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)